This is a unique program which combines petroleum, gas and exploration engineering. It is the first of its kind introduced in a Malaysian university to cater to the needs of the ever-demanding oil and gas industry for upstream and midstream activities. The program prepares student to apply engineering principles to the design, development and operation of systems for locating and extracting crude oil and natural gas. This include mining and drilling systems, processing and separation systems, facilities, transportation and related environmental and safety systems.
The courses are conducted via lectures, tutorials and practical work laboratories where appropriate. Assessment for the courses includes tests, quizzes, assignments and examinations. This programme received its pioneer batch of students in July 2008.
Students are required to pass 133 credit units in order to complete the program. The curriculum are designed to provide strong fundamentals in basic sciences and engineering as well as the discipline specific courses such as:
- Geoscience and Petroleum Geology
- Reservoir Engineering
- Drilling and Completion
- Production and Facilities Engineering etc.
These are further augmented by specialized courses to be taken at the latter part of study.
- Enhanced Oil Recovery
- Reservoir Characterization
- Maintenance and Reliability Engineering
- Pollution Control and Waste Management
- Gas Process Engineering
- Gas Field Development Strategies
- Gas Transmission and Distribution
- Development and Production Geology
- Geophysical Methods of Exploration
- Future Trends in Exploration Geosciences
The oil and gas engineer can work in all phases of the oil and gas sectors, from the exploration stage right through refinement and distribution. The knowledge and skills acquired would enable graduates to carry out tasks such as examining geologic and engineering data to determine sources of crude oil and gas, examining their quality and quantity, and separating crude oil into different components and products. Graduates will also be able to design and develop the physical plants and carry out these tasks safely and efficiently. Graduates may work for multi-national oil and gas companies or assume specialist positions as geologist, geo-physicist, technologist, drilling engineer, well-log analyst, production engineer, reservoir engineer, facility engineer, chemical engineer and energy economist.
Diploma in Chemical Engineering from UiTM, with a minimum CGPA of 2.50,
Diploma in Chemical Engineering from other institutions recognized by the Malaysian government, with a minimum CGPA of 3.00, and
- SPM or its equivalent, recognized by the Malaysian government, with a minimum of five credits including Chemistry, Physics, Mathematic, Additional Mathematics and Malay and a pass in English language,
UiTM's Science Foundation / STPM / PASUMI Matriculation or its equivalent recognized by the Malaysian government, with a minimum CGPA of 2.75, a minimum of Grade B- for two subjects and a minimum of Grade C in the following:
- Chemistry/Engineering Chemistry
- Physics/ Engineering Physics
- SPM or its equivalent, recognized by the Malaysian government, with credit in Malay, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Additional Mathematics, and pass in English,
STPM or its equivalent recognized by the Malaysian government, with a minimum CGPA of 2.75, a minimum of Grade B- in two subjects, and a minimum of Grade C in one of the following:
- MathematicsT, Further Mathematics T, Chemistry, Physics and Chemistry
- SPM or its equivalent recognized by the Malaysian government, with a minimum of five credits,including Physics, Chemistry, Mathematic, Additional Mathematics and a pass in English language and the minimum Band 1 in MUET.
Oil & Gas Engineering Program EH223 (ALUMNI)
Megat Naqib Megat Fudzil
Field Engineer, Schlumberger
“I found UiTM’s Oil and Gas Engineering program completely relevant with my current industry activities.”
Muhammad Yusof Mohd Aziss
Drilling Engineer, PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd.
“The Oil and Gas Engineering program at UiTM provided me with comprehensive knowledge of the upstream activities. The courses I took was very helpful for me to survive the real working environment of the petroleum exploration and production industry”
In addition to the basic engineering and sciences lab, the EH223 program provides for discipline specific labs as listed below:
1. Petroleum Geology Lab
- Rock cutting and coring facilities.
- Rock recognition unit.
- High resolution microscopes.
2. Rock and Fluid Properties Lab
- Porosity and permeability meters.
- PVT and SCAL analysis facilities.
3. Reservoir Simulation Lab
4. Drilling and Mud Technology Lab
5. Natural Gas Engineering Lab
For more information, please contact:
Rohani Mohd Zin
Head of Studies Centre (Oil and Gas)
Faculty of Chemical Engineering
UiTM Shah Alam, Selangor
Phone No: +603-55436346